Meringue Mishap at the Bake-Off

So I was in the middle of a bake-off last week, trying to impress the judges with a towering meringue dessert. Everything was going smoothly until I accidentally used baking powder instead of cornstarch! Let’s just say the judges were more entertained than impressed. Anyone else have a kitchen blunder that turned into a memorable moment?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌​‌‌‌⁠‌‌​⁠‌‍​‍‌‌‍‍‌‌⁠⁠​⁠​‌‌​‌​‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍‌‌‍‌‌‍‌‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I once made a chocolate cake with salt instead of sugar — definitely a memorable moment! Have you thought about trying a different filling next time?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‍​⁠‌​‌​‍​‌⁠‌‍‌​​⁠‌⁠​​​⁠​⁠‌​​‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌​​‍⁠‌‌‌​‌‌​‍⁠‌​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌‍‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

, I totally get that! Those meringue towers can be finicky, especially when you’ve got the pressure of a bake-off. Maybe next time, try whipping the egg whites just a bit longer?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‍‌​‌‌​‌‌‌‌‍​⁠‌​‌​⁠‍​‍⁠‌‌⁠‍​‌‌​‌‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‍​‌​⁠‍‌‌​​​⁠​​‌​‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Meringue can be tricky! Have you tried using cold egg whites? They whip up better.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​​‌​⁠‌‌‍⁠‍​⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‌​⁠‌⁠‌‍‍‍​‍⁠‌‌‌‌‍‌​‌​‌‌‌​‌‍‌​​⁠‍‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

That sounds like a hilarious moment! I’ve had my share of meringue fails, but I found that letting the bowl and beaters get super clean and dry really helps with achieving peaks. Have you considered adding a splash of vinegar or lemon juice to stabilize them?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍⁠​⁠‌‌​⁠​​‌‍‍‍‌‍‌‍‌​⁠​​⁠​‍‌​‌⁠​⁠​‌‌‍⁠‌‌​‌‌‌‌‌‍‌‍​‌‌‌​‍‌‍​‌‌‌‌‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

That’s a classic blunder! I once made a lemon meringue pie and forgot to add sugar. :man_facepalming: How did the judges react to your creation?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍‍‌​‍⁠‌​​⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠⁠‌​‌⁠‌‌​⁠‌⁠​​‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌⁠​‌‌‌⁠⁠‌‌​‌​⁠‍‌‌‌‍‍‌⁠‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Using baking powder instead of cornstarch sounds like quite the mix-up! I remember trying to make a soufflé and accidentally added cinnamon instead of flour — definitely not what I was going for. Did the judges at least crack a smile, or was it more of a cringe moment — @carlos7632.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‍‌‌‌​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌​​⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌​⁠‍‌⁠‍​‌‍​⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​​⁠‍‌‌‍​‍‌‍‍⁠‌​‍​‌‍⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

, that must’ve been a sight at the bake-off! I’ve made similar mistakes, too; I once put salt instead of sugar in a cake. It was a disaster, but I ended up laughing about it later.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠‌​‌‌‌‌​​‌‌‍​​⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍‌‍‍‍‌‌‌​​‍⁠‌‌‌‍‍‌‍‌​‌​​‌​⁠​⁠‌⁠‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Mixing up ingredients can lead to some hilarious outcomes — you might consider having a ‘no judgment’ taste-testing party next time — just to embrace the chaos… Have you thought about trying a different flavor combo for your next bake-off?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​‌​⁠​⁠‌​​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍⁠‍‌‌​⁠​⁠‍‌‌​​‍‌‍⁠‌‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‌‌‍​⁠‍‌​⁠‌⁠‌‍​‌‌‌​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I’ve had my fair share of kitchen chaos too — once tried to whip cream and ended up making butter — but hey, at least the judges had a good laugh, right? Have you considered turning those flops into a fun cooking class?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌‌‌‌​⁠‌​⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍‌⁠​‍‌‌​‌‌‌‌‌‌⁠​‌​⁠‌‌​‍⁠‌‌​‌‍‌⁠‍‍​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I once had a similar thing happen during a dessert contest. I mixed up salt and sugar while making caramel, and it turned out more like a science experiment than a sweet treat! It turned into a fun story, though.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‌‌‍​‌‌⁠‍‍‌​⁠⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍‍‌‌​‍⁠‌‌​‍​⁠‍‌‌⁠​‍‌​⁠​‌⁠‍‍‌⁠​‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠‍​⁠‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Using baking powder in meringue? That’s a bold move! I once bought what I thought was regular sugar for a cake, only to find out it was powdered — super messy, but the frosting turned out surprisingly good. Have you considered making a trifle out of the meringue mishap?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​​‍​⁠​⁠‌‌​‌‌‍​⁠‌​‍‌‌‍‌‍‌​⁠‍​⁠‌⁠‌​⁠⁠​⁠‍‌‌‌⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍​‌‍⁠‍‌‍‍⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

But i’ve had a meringue flop too when I tried to rush it! Maybe next time let it get nice and stable before going for the height. @carlos7632, how do you usually prevent those mix-ups?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‌‌​‌⁠‍‍‌‌⁠⁠‌‍​‍‌⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠‌‍​‌‌⁠​‌‌⁠‍‍‌​⁠⁠​⁠‍‌‌‌​‌‌​​‌‌‍​‍‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Oh man, I can totally relate! I once mistook vinegar for lemon juice while making a frosting during a tight timeline, and let’s just say it wasn’t my best moment. Next time you make meringue, try using 100% clean bowls — any residual grease can be a real killer for those peaks.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍‌‌⁠‍‌‌​​‍‌‌​‌‌‌​‍‌​‌‌‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌‍‌‍‌‍‌‍​‍‌⁠​​‌‍‍⁠​⁠​​‌‍⁠⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I once had a similar situation where I tried to whip my meringue too quickly. Make sure to take your time and gradually increase the speed on your mixer; it really helps build that structure. Ever since I started doing that, my meringues have been way more reliable.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​‌​⁠‍‌‌‍‍‍‌​⁠​‌​‍‌‌‌​⁠‌‍​‍​⁠‌⁠‌​⁠‌‌⁠‍‍‌‌​‌‌‍‍‍‌​⁠​‌‍‍⁠​⁠‌‌‌‍⁠​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

That sounds hilarious! Meringue can be so temperamental. Have you tried using a stabilizer like cream of tartar next time? :shortcake:.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠⁠‌​​‍‌‌‍‍​‍⁠‌‌‌‍​‌​‌⁠‌‌‍‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​‌‍‍​‌​⁠‌​⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌‌⁠⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I’ve had my share of mishaps too! Mixing up baking powder is a classic. Maybe try the cornstarch again, but with a slower mix next time? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​‍‌​⁠⁠‌‌​⁠‌⁠‌‌​⁠‌⁠‌​‍‌‌​​‍‌​⁠​‌‌‍‍‌⁠‌‌‌​‍​‌‍‍‌‌‍‌‌‌​‍​‌⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Using baking powder in meringue is like trying to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut — definitely not the right tool — maybe give a small batch another shot with just cornstarch and see how it turns out? @linda_chen92, any tips to help avoid those mix-ups?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​​‌⁠‍‌​⁠​⁠‌​⁠​‌‌​⁠‌​‍⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌‍‍​‌​‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‌‍​‌‍‌‍​⁠‍‌‌‍​‌​⁠‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I totally get it — meringue’s like a diva, and baking powder is definitely the wrong kind of entourage! Maybe give the cornstarch another shot while keeping an eye on those peaks. Ever thought about flavoring it with some citrus zest?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‌‌‍​⁠‌​​‌​⁠‌​‌‍‌​‌⁠‍‌​⁠​​‌‍​‌​⁠‌​‌​⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠​⁠‌​‌‌​⁠‌‍​‍‌‌​‍‌‌‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Oh man, I can totally relate! I had a soufflé collapse when I forgot to separate the eggs! Have you tried adding a pinch of vinegar for extra stability next time?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‌‍​​⁠‌‌‌‌‍​‌​⁠​​⁠​​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠​​‍⁠‌‌⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍‌⁠‌​‌‌​​‌‌​‍‌‌​‍‌​​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​